Inpatient Alcohol Detox: Primary Benefits of the Program
Alcohol abuse and addiction are more severe conditions than one can imagine. It is one of the rising health concerns in the United States. As per a survey by SAMHSA in 2016 on drug use, more than half of all alcohol users are found to abuse the substance.
Further,65.3 million citizens in the country are found to engage in binge drinking while 16.3 million people are heavy alcohol users. Out of 20.1 million people diagnosed with substance use disorder, about 15.1 million were cases of alcohol abuse and addiction.
Considering these numbers, it is important to know the ways to fight against the problem. Hence, let’s learn about the different methods of alcohol detox and how inpatient alcohol detox is particularly beneficial.
The Dangers of Alcohol Detox
Overcoming alcohol addiction is necessary. But one must also know that it is a difficult step. Quitting alcohol cold turkey, especially in cases of severe addiction does not solve the problem, instead leads to more severe health issues. Some of the most severe health issues associated with quitting alcohol are:
- Alcoholic ketacidosis
- Cardiac complications
- Increased heart rate
- Increased or high blood pressure
However, these issues are not to discourage anyone from seeking help. With the right care and help from professionals, one can easily combat alcohol addiction or abuse.
Different Types of Alcohol Detox
Alcohol detox can be carried out in three primary ways. Those include
- Inpatient alcohol detox: This is the most effective program to cure alcohol addiction. The program mandates the patients to reside at the facility until they have fully recovered from addiction. The main reason for such a requirement is to offer 24/7 support and care to patients. During the program, the patients undergo various treatments, therapies, counseling sessions, recreational activities, and more. All of this leads to achieving long-term sobriety and health for the patients.
- Outpatient alcohol detox: This is a rather liberal form to address alcohol addiction. This module of treatment is more suitable for patients with minor levels of alcohol addiction. Here, the patients are given equal quality of care and support as inpatient programs. But the only difference is that the patients can return to their homes after attending therapies and other sessions for the day. Also, outpatient alcohol detox is a more cost-effective option for the ones with a tight budget.
- Home detox programs: Such a format of alcohol detox allows the patients to detox at home with some support from rehab. Though this program is possible to be carried out at home, it is not quite recommended by professionals. The process of alcohol detox involves several symptoms of withdrawal, some as severe as Delirium Tremens. Such symptoms can lead to more serious health complications. Thus, the professionals always advise to undergo detox at a rehab.
All three types of programs mentioned above are effective in dealing with alcohol addiction. However, inpatient detox tops the list. Read more about the same below.
Inpatient Detox: The Most Effective Detox Program
Out of all the programs mentioned above, inpatient detox is found to be the most effective one. Not only does it offer round-the-clock care and support, but it also reduces the chances of medical complications. Since the patients are always under expert supervision, any minor health disorientation can be addressed at the earliest.
Inpatient alcohol detox offers benefits such as:
- Inpatient detox is safe: Alcohol detox involves a list of withdrawal symptoms, some as severe as Delirium Tremens or DT. Such symptoms of withdrawal can further complicate the detox process if left undressed. However, in inpatient care, all such issues are taken care of. The professionals always keep an eye on the patients and make sure they are safe and healthy at all times. If any issue arises, emergency medical aid is offered at the earliest. This makes inpatient alcohol detox a beneficial choice for many.
- It is private and comfortable: Inpatient detox also looks after the personal needs of the patient. The rehabs offer private accommodations, private treatments and therapies, and other facilities that are exclusive to individuals. This allows patients to heal in a comfortable environment without having to compromise with anything. Such a level of care results in faster and safer recovery.
- Inpatient detox yields better results: Detoxing at home is always possible but it is hardly recommended. The reason is the increased chances of relapse. Patients can easily give in to alcohol cravings when there’s no one to stop them. And this is highly possible at home. However, at inpatient rehab, some professionals are always around the patients to help them overcome temptations and cravings. This way, the results of detox are more positive.
- Patients heal in a safe and supportive environment: An inpatient rehab makes sure to maintain a positive and supportive environment throughout the facility. Patients here are encouraged to achieve sobriety and are supported by professionals while they work towards it. Also, since only patients are allowed in the facility, they stay away from the distractions and reasons that ignited addiction in the first place.
- Reduced chances of relapse: Detoxing will take a toll on patients’ mental and physical health. Though it is temporary and for good, some are still found craving for alcohol to overcome the discomfort. However, when at inpatient rehab, these temptations are controlled in safe manners such as medicines. Also, with zero to minimal distractions, patients can focus better on recovery. This further reduces the risk of relapse and overdose.
Overall, inpatient alcohol detox is an ideal choice for those willing to achieve sobriety. It is safe and effective and has helped many people regain their health. It also helps patients to regain full control over other aspects of their life. Thus, if you or any of your loved ones need help, Mallard Lake Detox Center is always at your assistance.
Inpatient Alcohol Detox Program at Mallard Lake Detox Center
Inpatient alcohol detox is a perfect choice, especially for the ones struggling with severe alcohol addiction. Mallard Lake Detox Center offers the best care for such patients. But our inpatient care is not limited to catering to alcohol addiction cases. We also help patients overcome other drug abuses such as cocaine, meth, marijuana, and others.
Thus, if you or a loved one needs help, get in touch with our experts today. Our team will guide you through the entire process of detox. Further, as you enroll, our team of professionals will always be with you through every step of the detox process. Be it a medical discomfort or mental health issue, we have experts for everything.