Drugs are merely a broad category consisting of numerous addictive substances. These addictive substances could either be legally obtained or prescription drugs like painkillers or illegal drugs like heroin and cocaine.
Drugs are further classified as opioids, depressants, stimulants, steroids, hallucinogens, dissociative anesthetics, narcotic analgesics, inhalants and others. All these have adverse effects on our body and brain if not consumed in a controlled amount. Some of them have the potential to develop an addiction merely after one or two doses. Such fatal drugs should be avoided at all costs and if addicted to them, one should immediately seek treatment.
Reasons Behind Consuming Drugs
There could be various reasons which could lead a person to consume drugs. Some of those reasons are:
- Self – medication
- Troubled relationships
- Early exposure to drugs
- Problems at work or school
- To tackle a condition or illness
- Genetic predispositions
- To induce sleep and relax
- Peer pressure
- Out of curiosity
- Feel the high
No matter what issues one is facing in their life, turning towards drugs for support is never a good option. Hence, try seeking help if feeling vulnerable to drugs or are already addicted to them.
Most Used Drugs
- Tobacco: is one of the most commonly consumed drugs for the sole reason of its easy availability. It is available in the form of cigarettes and vapes and is legally sold at places like convenience stores, grocery stores, gas stations and other retail outlets.
- Marijuana: is an illegal drug yet consumed frequently. Few states have legalized its use. However, it remains illegal in other parts of the country. Legalization or not, weed also has easy access, which makes it a frequently used drug.
- Alcohol: is another legal and easily available addictive substance. It also has harmful effects on the body yet is consumed frequently. It has now become a part of our routine, just like any other drink.
- Painkillers: are one of the most unexpected drugs to develop an addiction of. One might not even realize when they have developed an addiction. The use of painkillers starts by using them to relieve physical pain, and soon a dependency is developed.
Managing Substance Use
The most important way to manage substance use is by controlling the dosage of the drug you consume. Some drugs will take time to develop addiction whereas some will take just a few doses to create a dependency.
If you feel you are dependent on any of these drugs or others, you can always seek help from a reputed rehab center like Mallard Lake Detox Center. The center provides the best of treatment and therapies along with other activities and facilities to help the patients. Contact us now to know more.